Friday, September 14, 2007

It's Official

Some of you know that I graduated from college back on May 31, 2007. I put in nine long years of part-time schooling while working a full-time job. I took anywhere from 2-3 classes a semester and I never thought I would ever graduate. So when graduation day came it felt very surreal to me. While sitting in the ceremony, listening to our Dean state all that we may have been through to get to this day, I became somewhat emotional. Something I never thought I would feel. At that moment I realized that all my hard work paid off and I finally was a college graduate! What makes this degree even more special to me is that I am the first of six children in my family to have a Bachelors Degree. I know I made my family, especially my parents, proud. I received my BA in Business Communication with a Specialization in Graphic Communication (fancy way of saying Graphic Design).

I finally received my letter from school a few weeks ago letting me know I could stop by the Registrar's office and pick up my diploma and stop by the ID center and get my Alumni ID. It feels a little weird to actually be an alumni to something other than my high school. So I couldn't resist snapping a pick of my diploma. I am so proud of it. I can't wait to frame it and hang it on my wall.

Now I just need to start working in my field. I plan on doing some freelance work to build my portfolio up before I try getting a job within a design firm. I eventually want to work just for myself one day.


I would also like to send a big huge thank you to a special friend of mine. This week I received a very special package in the mail. When I opened it I couldn't believe my eyes. My friend had bought me Adobe Creative Suite 3 Premium as a graduation gift. A note was attached congratulating me and telling me that I now could start earning money with my new degree. I was so very touched and this person is totally amazing to have done this for me. He is someone who has always supported me and continues to believe in me and my ability. I told him that I was going to take him out to dinner with money from my first paying freelance job.

4 comments:

  1. I know who that special friend is & all I can say is "Wow!" A special place is for him, I tell ya. I guess he really believes in who you want to be.

    Congrats to you, of course, on all your hard work! I look forward to hearing about your new free-lance business adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your graduation! What a fabulous achievement!

    And what a terrific friend you have, to send you such a thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's a huge achievement . . . you SHOULD be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! You should be super proud of all your hard work! It ain't easy going to school and working at the same time!

    ReplyDelete