Thursday, May 1, 2014

Starting Fresh

It's May and that brings us one month closer to summer. Uh oh, you know what that means? Closer to those warmer temperatures where we'll be baring more of our skin! I don't know about you, but it's time for me to hunker down and shed those seven pounds that winter put on my body.

This month is going to be about getting back to my fitness basics and setting some goals.

Here's a looky loo at what I have in mind:
Running, weight training, meal planning/prepping and drinking a boat load of water are the fitness basics that worked for me last June when I seriously started my fitness journey and lost 30 pounds!

And here's a reminder that a month, or in this case five weeks, can make a HUGE difference:
The only item that isn't really basic is running all 31 days of May. I have never ever ventured into this kind of running. I have always been one to give my body at least 2 rest days a week.

So why am I having a change of heart on this type of running challenge? Because I have seen a few of my fellow fitness peeps complete that 100 days of running challenge and their bodies really transformed.

I'm not crazy enough to commit myself completely 100% to the 100 days of running just yet, but when I thought about what I wanted to achieve in May, I thought 31 days wouldn't be so bad. So my plan will be that the rest days I usually give myself will be replaced with at least 1 mile of running. If I feel better than I expect, then I may log more miles. It's going to be one of those see as I go kind of things. However, the 1 mile run seems doable and I feel it will give my body a nice active rest/recovery day without too much stress.

I'm also not going into this challenge completely unprepared. I have spent the past month running 4 times a week (with the exception of last week because I was sick) and logging between 20-25 miles a week. By doing this, I was able to get not only my mind back in the game, but also my body. I would NEVER attempt this challenge without having built back a basic running foundation first. I feel I have dusted those winter cobwebs off and I am ready to accept this personal challenge!

I look forward to posting weekly updates and seeing how I progress. Maybe I might be able to inspire a few of you to get out there and start moving. It doesn't have to be running, walking is excellent too. Let me know below what you're planning on doing this month and let's make it a positive one together!

No comments:

Post a Comment