Monday, January 14, 2013

Workout Roundup (01/07/13 - 01/13/13)

Can't believe it's Monday already! To me there never seems to be enough hours to the weekend to do all I want and before we know it, we are back to the grind of work. So before this week gets away from me, I want to recap my workouts from the past week (01/07/13 - 01/13/13).

Monday, January 7, 2013:
Rest Day - I was extremely exhausted from the day before (my honey and I spent several hours on Sunday evening deep cleaning the apartment after a weeks worth of renovations had been done in our living space) and decided sleeping in an extra hour and a half was wise before heading into work.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013:
Gym - Treadmill Run - 3.5 miles of 400s (35:15 @ 2:41pm)
Spent day two sleeping in again, but didn't want the day to go by without a run. I managed to hit the gym during my lunch hour and completed 7 sets of intervals on the treadmill. I alternated quarter miles with a 10:42 pace and 9:31 pace. Legs were tired at the end and I averaged a 10:00 minute mile pace.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013:
Ran 4 miles (45:56 @ 6:20am) - Astoria Park Track
Since I can't see my Garmin watch in the dark without hitting the light button, I decided to run on how I felt instead of focusing on maintaining a certain pace. Whenever I run by feel, I always have negative splits (each mile run gets faster) and I am always surprised because the way I feel during the run doesn't always match what my splits end up being. They are always better! So until spring daylight comes back for my morning runs, I think I just might stop looking at my times while running.

Thursday, January 10, 2013:
Rest Day - No Excuse

Friday, January 11, 2013:
Rest Day - No Excuse

Saturday, January 12, 2013:
Rest Day - No Excuse

Sunday, January 13, 2013:
Ran 9 miles (44:37 @ 10:17am) - Rockefeller State Park Preserve
It felt so nice to be back running on the trails! While this is my hardest and longest run of the week, it's also my most favorite run of the week! It is so nice to get away from the city and run in fresh air along the trails. My goal for this run was A) I would be happy with 6 miles and B) thrilled with 8 miles. The longest run I had done since the marathon was 6.25 miles in the snow two weeks ago. I surprised myself with pulling out a 9 mile run on Sunday. It was tough, but oh so worth it!

Now let's look how my mileage is stacking up towards my 2013 Goal of:
This weeks total mileage of 16.59 miles plus last weeks mileage of 8.12 miles, I am now at 24.71 miles run so far this year.

When I set this goal I figured I would need to run close to 20 miles a week for 52 weeks to hit my goal. While I didn't hit the 20 mile mark for the past two weeks, I am still confident that I will hit 1,000 miles this year. So far I have 3 big half marathon (13.1 miles) races scheduled, between March and April, which will help make up the missing mileage (because of my increased training plus races) from these two weeks.

My first half marathon of the year is the NYC Half on Sunday, March 17, which is just over 8 weeks away. Starting this week my mind is completely focused on getting my training going for this race. Sunday's 9 mile run was a nice reassurance that I still got long miles in my legs since the marathon, but I still have work to do! 

Anybody do anything fun over the weekend? 

Besides running, I couldn't pull myself away from the book "Running Barefoot" by Amy Harmon. My sister recommended it to me and I read that baby in 3 days! I did not want to put the book down. Here is the Amazon book description: 

"When Josie Jensen, an awkward 13-year-old musical prodigy crashes headlong into new-comer Samuel Yazzie, an 18-year-old Navajo boy full of anger and confusion, an unlikely friendship blooms. Josie teaches Samuel about words, music and friendship, and along the way finds a kindred spirit. Upon graduation, Samuel abandons the sleepy, small town in search of a future and a life, leaving his young mentor behind. Many years go by and Samuel returns, finding his old friend in need of the very things she offered him years before. Their roles reversed, Samuel teaches Josie about life, love, and letting go. Deeply romantic and poignant, Running Barefoot is the story of a small town girl and a Native American boy, the ties that bind them to their homes and families, and the love that gives them wings."

If you think this story might be something you'd like, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment