Friday, January 11, 2013

"Oh Christmas Time Is Near"

Well not actually, but for some reason I can not get the Charlie Brown Christmas Album out of my head at the moment. I guess that's what happens when you are still knitting Christmas gifts.

Back on December 5th I shared this photo on my Facebook page:
...and asked what could I be knitting with all this yarn? I enjoyed reading everyone's guesses and was sad that I had to keep it a secret since I was knitting Christmas gifts with it. Of course I promised everyone that I would share the results after the holiday's passed.

But first some pictures of my knitting journey:
"Oh what could I be knitting?" A teaser picture I sent my sister during one of my marathon Saturday knitting days.
"I will knit anywhere I can!" I snapped this picture after I had finished my long run up at Rockefeller State Park Preserve and while I waited for my honey to finish his own long run. I had an hour of a knitting opportunity. I may also have knitted on the car ride to and from the park. I was a woman on a mission.

When all was said and done, I only managed to complete 2 of the 6 gifts I had intended on making. I was able to start a third, but knew I wouldn't finish it in time to mail the package down to my family so I decided I wasn't going to stress over trying to finish it before the holiday. 

For the gifts I weren't able to finish, I made these cute cards for the recipient to open (in addition to another little gift I sent):
So what did I make? I chose to knit the Honey Cowl (linky to free pattern) by Madelinetosh. Here are the 2 cowls I managed to complete:
I chose to use Knit Picks Gloss DK yarn (4 skeins each). The one on the left was for my niece Tori in Blackberry Colorway. The one on the right was for my niece Lauren in Aegean Colorway. I was told that they were a big hit and both girls wore them at least twice over the Christmas holiday!

Before I wrapped them up, I couldn't resist trying one on. This is one way to wear it...
...and here is another...
I have to say that I love the yarn I chose. It's a mix of merino and silk. It feels divine against your skin and so very warm. After I finish knitting the other 4 cowls, I will be knitting one up for myself! They really don't take that long to knit. The first one I completed in 3 days and the second one took 5 days. Without rushing I could easily complete one in a week.

I am still working on the third cowl for another one of my nieces. This was me working on it on New Year's Eve:
Since this picture I have completed 2 skeins of yarn and am getting ready to add in the third. I had to take a little break from the knitting after New Year's, but am completely focused on finishing these gifts up as soon as possible.

So tell me, what are on your knitting needles right now? Anyone else finishing up Christmas gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment