Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Moving Forward - Next Steps & A Helping Hand

As we all know, the NYC Marathon was cancelled at 5:30pm on Friday. I have already voiced my thoughts about that decision on my Facebook page and those closest to me know how crushed I was at the 11th Hour cancellation. I do not want to rehash any of it here on the blog. Instead I want to focus on moving forward and what will happen next with my running/training now that the marathon date has come and gone.

So what are my plans?

Plan A:

Well this past weekend, after some talking with my honey who convinced me I didn't need an official marathon to run 26.2 miles, I decided and proclaimed on Facebook that I was going to do this:
As you all know from reading all about my training for the past 16 weeks, the Rockefeller State Park Preserve is where I completed all my long training runs. This run will all be on trails in which will make it tougher for me. The farthest I have run there is 22 miles and that took me 4 hours and 43 minutes. So while I was looking to finish the NYC Marathon in 5 hours (road is much easier), completing this distance will most like take me close to 5.5 to 6 hours to complete. It just depends on how my body holds up.

Plan B (or Could Turn Into Plan A):

This morning the Philadelphia Marathon announced they were opening up 3,000 bibs to NYC Marathoner's. Half of the entry fee will go to the Red Cross Hurricane Victims. I was excited to hear that they decided to do this. I know the race was closed, but I mentioned the other day to some friends that nothing but good could come from them opening up some spots and the next day they did! 

The bibs will be filled by a lottery pick to be drawn at 5:00pm Thursday, and after talking with my honey, I decided to put my name into the hat. The race is scheduled for November 18, so if by some luck I get picked, this will become Plan A for me.

I am really hoping that Plan B will become my Plan A. I know I don't need an official marathon to run the distance. I just love the racing atmosphere and the feeling of family when I toe a start line so much. Either way, I am hoping to be completing a 26.2 mile run before Thanksgiving.

Hurricane Sandy Relief: There is still so much need for help for the Hurricane Sandy victims here. I myself have made a donation to the Red Cross, even set up my own fundraising page, but I also felt the need to help one particular Hurricane Victim in Staten Island. I am a frequent reader of Healthy Happier Bear's blog and Ashley brought my attention to a young lady named Jen (who incidentally was suppose to run the NYC Marathon). Jen,her husband and 2 children lost everything when Sandy hit Staten Island. Ashley and her husband created a Target registry to help this family get back on their feet. They have nothing. While I can't help every single person out there, I knew I could help make a difference for this family. You can read the story about Jen here (and even see a news clip where they appear) on Ashley's blog. What Ashley has created even got the attention of ABC news and an article was released on GMA.com. Over 116 items have been purchased through the "Wedding Registry", but there are still so many more items needed. If you want to take a look, please do and maybe you might be able to help just a little too.

No comments:

Post a Comment