Thursday, March 10, 2016

Man vs. the Machines

On two separate weekends in June of last year, I caught my husband doing something that reminded me of a young boy being totally fascinated. First, I spotted him staring into the washing machine and then one week later, it was him staring into the dryer. It completely warmed my heart and was thankful I had my phone on hand to snap the photos without him knowing!

While I found myself in a super scrappy mood, I decided it was time to get these pictures on a layout. I dug into my stash and decided to use several papers from Amy Tangerine's "Stitched" collection. Here is the final product:
I was completely drawn to the heart paper to be my background right away. I loved the random yellow hearts. From there, I decided that I would accent the layout with grey, yellow and orange from the collection.

For my clustering, I wanted to create three clusters directly around the photo to get the visual triangle and help bring your eyes to the photos, since the background was quite busy. I then knew I needed to bring elements (colors and texture) from the body of the layout to the upper top right hand corner. Someplace for your eyes to start on the page and naturally flow down and around it.
I knew I wanted man and machine in my title, to be different fonts, but both to be Thickers. I chose Eclair and Kal Barteski. The remainder of the title is Tim Holtz's tiny letter tiles.
Right after I chose my papers for this layout, I knew this double heart cut apart had to be included somewhere on my layout. I loved the stitched hearts and the bright orange color. However, by doing this I knew I would be losing my journaling spot.
Then the bright idea came to me to do hidden journaling! I took a premade tag from my stash and adhered it to the grey patterned paper I used in matting my photo on both sides of the tag. The reinforcer for the tag was cut from my Tim Holtz tag Thinlet die set.
There wasn't much space for embellishments on the lower right corner. I kept it very simple with just a few elements consistent with the rest of the page.
In the beginning I wasn't sure where exactly I was going with this layout. In the end, I love how it all came together and most importantly, another story has been told!

No comments:

Post a Comment