Wednesday, August 22, 2012

5 Weeks Done


It’s truly hard to believe that I have completed 5 weeks of my marathon training. I am currently halfway through Week 6. I have a relatively easy 5 mile run Thursday morning and then 2 days of rest until my long run on Sunday. This week my long run jumps up to 14 miles! When was the last time I ran 14 miles? Well let’s see. In September 2009 I ran the Philly Half Marathon (which is 13.1 miles for all you non-runners out there). Hmmm. The last time I ran 14 miles was in 2006 when I was training for the NYC Marathon that year! I was truly amazed when I thought about how long it's been.

I would be wrong if I said that I wasn’t nervous about attempting those 14 miles this weekend. ‘Cause I am. I know what my body has been capable of in the past, but it’s been 6 long years since I last ran that distance. My body has so changed in the past 6 years. I am at a heavier weight now (even though I am now down 13 pounds since May!), my legs seem to have developed aches and pains that once never bothered me and I am now 41, not the spry 35 year old anymore that felt invincible.

So how will I approach Sunday’s run? With a positive mental attitude. Two weeks ago I ran 12 miles for the first time in 3 years. I felt awesome up through mile 11. That twelfth mile kicked my butt (it was all uphill and I swore the whole time running up it), but I finished. Will I struggle with the 14 miles on Sunday? Most definitely a yes. Will I be prepared the best that I can be? Yes. Will I give up? Most definitely a no.

1 comment: