Monday, August 10, 2015

With Love from Abroad

At the beginning of this year I made a list of goals. One of those goals was to make new crafty friends. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to go about this, as I am not one to go out and do new things by myself, but I was determined to come up with a few ideas.

Idea #1: Join a local knit group. There is a group that meets just up the street from my house once a month. I am a member of their group on Ravelry. I've stalked the message boards, but have yet to attend a knit night. To this day, I still haven't. Think I have a fear thing going on of not being accepted into a group of people that have been getting together forever. This fear is probably stemming from the last time I went to a knitting group meetup and left with a sour taste in my mouth.

Idea #2: Join a knitting swap group. Years ago I participated in one of those secret partner swaps and at the end of the year you revealed yourself to your partner. To this day I am still friends with the person who spoiled me. Sadly we don't live in the same state, but I am blessed for our friendship.

Idea numero uno scares me, idea numero dos does not!

I began to scour the Ravelry groups in search of the perfect swap group for me. I declared the "Swap for All Seasons 2015" group to be my winner. I even decided to swap with someone from another country. I know the shipping is more expensive, but I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to make a new friend from afar.

During the year you will swap a total of four packages, one for each season, with your partner. As per my request, I was matched with a lovely fellow knitter from Germany. So far we've exchanged two packages. Each package has been wonderful and so thoughtfully put together.

I was truly spoiled upon receiving the Spring package back in April. I received a beautiful knitted scarf, skein of yarn, a fantastic book of knitting patterns, adorable hand sewn Easter eggs, little package tags made in Germany and some AH-MAZ-ING chocolate bars!
I was continued to be spoiled when I received the Summer package in July. Inside was a knitted summer vest, several skeins of cotton yarn in three different colors, a travel notions case with a few little items inside, a cute little pouch with a heart trinket box inside, several tea sample in a variety and more amazing chocolate!
I can't believe we are two packages down with our Fall swap package just around the corner. I have truly enjoyed putting my packages together for my partner, but am really excited to put together the Fall and Winter packages.

So, while I've gained a new friend from very afar, I know I haven't gained any new local crafty friends yet. However, the year is only half over. Maybe I'll be brave one week and attempt the knit night. Who knows?!?!

Tell me, have you ever participated in a crafty swap? Did you love it, hate it, want to do it again?

2 comments:

  1. I do miss the Secret Pal swaps from several years ago! :) Once Ravelry hit the Internet, all the knitting-related swaps (and blogging) seemed to move over there. I have friends who participate a lot in the various Ravelry forums, but I just haven't been able to get into that format myself. It just seems so huge and impersonal compared to blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you in regards to the Ravelry forums. I find it really hard to participate, especially since I don't log on to it every day. So when I do, there has been so much chatter I can't catch up.

      Delete